Saturday, December 2, 2017

Babbitty Bumble

The Bumblebee warp is weaving up beautifully. The goldenrod yellow and white is so elegant I think and I love the touch of black.



I thought it might be too gaudy or garish but it is not. I'm glad I did an 8 yard warp instead of a 6!
Oh and Babbitty Bumble is a character from The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse by Beatrix Potter

And while the shuttle has been going back and forth, the wheel has been spinning round and round.



The Louet Shetland is a beautifully prepared fiber and the light grey so wintry and soothing to spin.
I'm going to use this lovely fiber for Fisherman's mittens, knitted huge and felted to size providing denseness and warmth even when wet. In the really cold there are no gloves that keep my hands warm and dry, so I'm going to give these a whirl. The end yarn will be a three ply with the last single being a bright Hunter's Orange wool/silk blend. It's just been started so pics next go round....pun intended.

The sewing machine and serger have been happily stitching along with a couple of fun creations.
Way back in the summer of 2016 I bought some appliqued fabric that was handmade in India. Then I spent a year and a half trying to decide how best to use it. Too delicate for pants, I wasn't keen on a jacket for it but then I decided to use it as a simple smock.



 I could preserve most of the appliqués that way.



I sort of made up my own pattern using an Indigo Junction smock pattern as a guide for the armholes. It's a simple garment, oversized and comfy, perfect for slipping on as I weave or spin or sew.

The second make was a pattern I've had for years and am finally getting to it.



These Khaliah Ali designed patterns have always been so nicely drafted. This was no exception. My only adjustment was to shorten the waist. For curvy gals these patterns are graded with a little more room at the hip and usually princess seams for ease in bust adjustment.



The shoulders are usually spot on. So many patterns mistakenly grade shoulders up to linebacker proportions since we might be a bit fluffy in other areas.



This fabric was purchased super cheap at the closing sale and it wasn't until I opened it up I realized how pretty the print was. Duck Feathers it's called.

What a flipping week it has been in the news! The #MeToo movement promises some change. There will be many casualties, some well deserved, some maybe not so much. I was joking with Gene that extreme vetting might be more appropriate for powerful men than for many immigrants.  I never said my jokes were funny. People in power, be they poor or rich, over a corporation and legions of people
or just a couple of kids or an animal, who come from a place of hate and fear are aways a danger.
So I'm leaving you with this beautiful song by Natalie Merchant, one of my all time favorite artists.
And an admonishment that if you see something, say something. Please.

Parting shot: A mug only a Mother could love and I do!

12 comments:

LA said...

Great use of the applique fabric...you showcased the workmanship nicely. The shoes just keep dropping in DC.

Anna H said...

Love Natalie Merchant, and the song is amazing! You have been busy, as usual, creating beautiful things.

Cindie said...

Love your new smock and bubble bee towels.

It's like toppling dominoes with men losing their jobs left & right in the me too movement but those politicians don't suffer the same consequences and from what I hear coverup/settlement money on their end is paid by us taxpayers.

Anonymous said...

A mug not only a Mother could love, I love Jack too! ;-)
I agree the black stripes are perfect with the buttery yellow and white. Wonderful reminder of a story I loved as a child.

Michelle said...

The Bumblebee warp is exquisite!!!

Leigh said...

Beautiful weaving! Love the warp and you're right about the touch of black.

I really like that Simplicity pattern, but if it's been around awhile it's probably not for sale anymore. Almost puts my in the mood to do some sewing, if only I could find my sewing machine!

Theresa said...

Leigh, Often those discontinued patterns but not old ones appear quite reasonably on Etsy, often much less than the sale prices these days at Joanne's.

Michelle, Thank you

Martha, Jack certainly is a one of a kind. I loved Beatrix Potter too. Those books made just for little hands.

Cindie, I'm not bothered so much by a slush fund itself (people bring spiteful lawsuits to public figures
often I would imagine), but as to the secretive nature of it.

Anna H. Natalie Merchant CDs were the most played when I traveled and commuted. And thank you for the compliments.

LA, it is such fun fabric. I still have bis and pieces for use on other creations. It must be a centipede over there in DC!

mrsmole said...

Love that smock fabric! I can see why you waited to make it up in just the right pattern to show off all the little motifs. Men and their genitals...they assume we want to see their junk...not so!Seeing your loom and the beautiful creations you make just makes me think it is a different language...so much to learn and know and adapt...fabulous!

Susan said...

I grew up with the Beatrix Potter books and still love them to bits to this day. I love that appliqued fabric - it's so different! Thank you for the music. It was much appreciated today.

Mary said...

So many beautiful things to admire in this post, not the least your musings on our politics.

Leigh said...

Wow! I thought I knew all the Beatrix Potter characters, but I do not remember that one. One of my favorites was Squirrel Nutkin. I love your towel pattern. I have a pretty hand-woven towel, think I paid $25 or $30 for it, and can't bear to use it as I know husband would wipe all the counters with it, stain it instantly and then I'd be sad.
Your furkid has an adorable face. :)

Barbara said...

You do such beautiful work and I love your sewing - just my style.