Wednesday, December 10, 2014

It's All Happening at the Zoo

You knew it was bound to happen at some point.  We lost three much loved family members this year but that would never keep me from opening up my home to another needy animal. In fact Miss Bea, Rodger the cat and Peter were all rescues and the heart is as expansive in love and kindness as you let it be. Without further ado, please let me introduce Hazel Rose and please forgive the terrible picture.



Hazel is at that clingy stage and if I move, so does she and if she moves, everyone else has to come see too.  Life at the zoo. :)

Up in the sewing room some good useful sewing has been happening. A lovely linen Liberty blouse has been completed.



 I used a small piece of a past Heather Ross pattern that was given to me because it had dancing foxes on it. I've had it up on my wall for a number of years, just waiting for the perfect something to use it on.  Just enough for two much needed pockets.



The color was spot on with the linen, and since it is a light canvas weight it matches the linen perfectly that way too. The back detail shows the cute dancing frogs that are also on this fabric.



Dancing rabbits round out the whimsy. I sure wish I had more of this fun fabric, but this little bit was certainly enough to make the top special.

I finally attacked the Jocole Skinny Pant pattern I had cut out in a cotton twill/spandex blend teal fabric.



 I really needed that skinny leg in my wardrobe and while I like leggings, this is a better option for many of my tops.



While it is a perfectly wearable muslin it needs a bit of tweaking going forward. I do not have the hips that this pattern will accommodate, so a bit of grading and a little shortening between the waist and the crotch curve will make this a perfect fit next round.

There are some fun new patterns I've added to my stash for a try out in 2015. Two from Merchant & Mills in the UK.



 A few places in the United States are on their stock list although not all carry their patterns. I got mine from Gather Here, a nifty little store in Cambridge MA. I won't be able to visit them, but they have launched an online store too. Shipping was fast and reasonable and the packaging clever and sweet. I won't hesitate to order from them again and it sure beats the mailing costs from the England. I have one more new indie pattern I've ordered to try, not a Merchant & Mills pattern, but it has yet to arrive.

Outside the weather has been pretty crappy. Lots of rain, lots of mud and cloudy grey days. But still we manage to have some spectacular sunrises here, certainly not a traditional one, but the clouds on this morning where breathtaking in their own unique way.







Parting shot: Unsure and hopeful all at once. Worry not Hazel R, we'll pretty good at making a home for shy, wayward dogs. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Miss Hazle, you are going to love it there!

Love the new "dancing" blouse, very cute!

Anna H said...

How wonderful to have a new furry child in the house. I know Miss Hazel Rose is happy to have found such a great home!

Cindie said...

Hazel Rose you've found a good home! Ok, so do all your dogs have the same length tail? Well, I know Marigold has a long one but all the little dogs......

Michelle said...

Here, here to Hazel Rose's welcome! Do tell us more about her.

Mary said...

Hazel Rose, how nice to meet you! Everything in this blog post makes me happy, especially you Hazel Rose.

Hilary said...

Awww what a little cutie. Congrats on your new family member.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Lucky Hazel Rose has found a home filled with love!
Wonderful!

LA said...

Hazel R. has hit the jackpot!!!! Congratulations to you and your new fur child.

Unknown said...

Welcome Hazel Rose, I can't wait to hear more about her.

Coco said...

Hazel Rose, what a darling pup and name! She looks a bit like a dachshund...mix...so cute. Oh, and your garments are nice too! So funny...I do love your menagerie, so glad you share.

Leigh said...

She is so cute!!! You get the best dogs. :)